Eye care is one of the most overlooked aspect of healthcare amongst our population. We know that our eyes are important but with hectic schedules, fast-paced lifestyle, eye care seems to be the last thing on our mind.
As you resolve to make big and small resolutions this New Year, understand why eye care is important. With some care in your daily life, you and your family can have good eye health.
For 2018, we are listing down a few tips and reminders that will make eye care easy for you.
When to book an eye test?
- If you find yourself squinting or leaning forward to read, even if it's a bumper sticker on a car in front of you.
- If you have a stationary job that involves constant visual work, such as a computer job, where you face a blue screendaily.
- If you have persistent headaches with eye strain and sometimes even feeling light headed.
- If you have a family history of eye related problems and get symptoms related to them.
- If you find yourself suffering from any of these reasons, then it’s time you book an eye test with a certified optometrist to solve your problems.
- If you commute everyday for work for more than 5 minutes, yes, it takes less than that to cause eye strain related headaches.
- If you live or work in a place with a hot or humid weather and also regularly exposed to dust and pollution, then protect your eyes from harsh UV rays with a pair of sunglasses.
And if you already use glasses, then prescription sunglasses are a must. They will be of great help while you commute or travel and you don’t need to compromise on getting sunglasses just because you need spectacles.
Pass the eye drops please!
Eyes are naturally lubricated and become itchy if they become dry. Rubbing dry eyes degrades its conditions further.
- If you are under constant stress, tired, have infrequent sleep cycle and/or have strain from staring at the blue screens of laptops, then it's time you resolute for better eye care as well.
- Resting your eyes for 15 minutes every two hours by closing them or applying a cold cloth will work wonders.
- Even though getting over the counter drops is an easier solution, we suggest you get prescribed eye drops for regular use.
- You can read more about how to take care of dry eyes here.
Choose a healthy way of life!
All of us know that the New Year brings new possibilities and also the hope that we will eat healthier meals. Some of us also want to quit smoking and start exercising more. An added motivation to follow your other resolutions is the benefits for your eyes.
With a healthy balance of diet and exercise, you can easily decrease the risk of contracting eye diseases and conditions such as diabetic eye disease, age-related macular degeneration, cataract, and optic nerve damage, all of which can lead to eventual visual impairment.
A small change such as adding a screen filter from an app to shield your sight from the blue light will help with your eye care. With daily care and attention, your eye care will turn into a habit that you start loving. Vision Express is your friend who helps you live up to these resolutions. If you know a friend or a family member who is suffering from eye related problems, share these tips with them, spread the love for eye care and 2018 will look brighter!